Regional tournament changes for 2019/20
AoC Sport is making some big changes to six sports at regional tournaments for 2019/20. The changes are being implemented based on the decline of entries in those sports over the last two years and as a result of a survey sent out to members on how to improve the competitions offer.
Feedback from members was that competitions were not viable in some regions for some sports due to low demand so we have acted on those concerns. The changes were agreed at the Operations Advisory Group on 2 July.
For any queries about the changes please email Development Manager Laura Danskin.
Overview of 2019/20 Changes
- Squash has been removed from regional tournaments and National Championships. This is because, in 2018/19, there were no male entries in three regions and no female entries in five regions.
- Golf has been removed from regional tournaments and will instead be delivered across a series of events, which will also replace the annual event held in Scotland. 56 out of 75 respondents to the survey agreed we should do this. This will provide more opportunities for students to participate in high level golf competitions.
- Hockey will now be a mixed competition. We have seen a reduction in participant numbers year on year. Six out of nine English regions do not run a male regional tournament and five out of nine do not run female regional tournaments due to low entry numbers.
- Table Tennis will be a team event playing singles. Currently, seven regions only run singles at regional tournaments and students therefore do not qualify in doubles/ mixed doubles.
- Cross Country will have the same 5k course for male and female competitors at regional tournaments. Meanwhile, National Championships will become a two-day event with all competitors running a 7.5k course on day one and a 5k course on day two.
- Pan Disability Football will have changed eligibility criteria.
- Qualified students will be able to officiate in three focus sports, including basketball, hockey and one more to be announced shortly.
- Barbarian teams in any sport will be allowed if a college cannot field a full team.
Full details can be found in Regional tournament changes 2019-20
The regional tournament dates and deadlines are now available from the individual regions web pages.